The Bureau of Agriculture was established in 1894. In 1898 the activities of the Bureau were placed under the control of the Minister for Lands and named the Department of Agriculture. The Bureau of Agriculture then became the Department of Agriculture in April 1898. The Department of Agriculture was renamed the Department of Agriculture and Food, WA (DAFWA) in April 2006.
The journal was published in four series, Series 1 commencing in 1899. This is the third series, 1952 - 1955. Publication of the Journal of Agriculture has now ceased.